Monday, March 23, 2009

Read Any Good Books Lately?

As with most writers working on their own books, reading books by other authors can feel like a dirty little secret luxury.  But as we've heard said several times at the James River Writers Conference, how can you be a good writer if you aren't a good reader?  
[That is true b-t-w, not just because I'd really rather read than write. ;)
Most of the time.

I learn from the books I like, I learn more from the books I don't.  

When books are well-written I get caught up in the story and it channels me along until it dumps me out at the end, the reader becoming the bemused writer trying to analyze how the writer did that so well.   
If it isn't so well written I notice the mechanics of it more than getting all caught up in the characters and their story.  
Both learning experiences, one just a bit more enjoyable for my reading pleasure. ;)

So what books are you reading?

Are they helping you with your writing?

Or they just helping you with your reading? ;)

Either or both can help you.  So what are you learning?

No comments: