Monday, February 22, 2010

Books are better

Of course I know they are. But every so often you just don’t have the energy to turn the pages. Come on, I Know there’s got to be Someone out there that has let themselves get to that point at times. I try not to let myself get to that point. Or get like that anymore. But sometimes….

Sometimes there’s just not any more energy than to lift a cup of hot tea. When there’s been energy to make it, or even reheat it in the microwave cause you took too long to lift it when it was hot. Where even clicking buttons on the remote is just all too much effort so you just lie there swaddled in a warm throw or blanket glazed-ly staring at nothing. And sorry and all, but there really isn’t a whole lot to watch on tv that’s really all that interesting, is there? Okay so when you’re in that state of almost catatonic-tired there’s probably not anything really all that interesting. So you need fluff and stuff like that to relax with. When I have the energy to flip pages and just want to be entertained with grinning silliness I often turn to a Janet Evanovich ‘Stephanie Plum’ book. Stephanie Plum is surrounded with crazy funny characters - I'll just say, Lula - oh and not talk about Stephanie's funeral-going-casket-peeking grandma - and is always bound to end up in something funny. And a laugh is Always good for what ails you, right? Or I'll pick up a Donna Andrews humor logged 'Meg Langslow' mystery - pssst, #6 the Penguin one is still my favorite! Just go to Donna's website and read the first paragraph. My Favorite paragraph of just about all time I think! And lest anyone get offended - Please don't! I read LOTS of books, believe me. My house and shelves overflow. Really. Ask my husband. No, Please don't ask him. It'll just remind him how many books 'we' have around here. And how many more I need to read.

But for some reason, I was talking with some writer friends some time ago about movies. Don’t remember how we got on the subject of movies, we’re writers so obviously the talk is mostly about books. But being writers our conversations jump and stray around as our minds do trying to corral characters, plots, and story lines. So anyway we somehow ended up talking movies – we probably ended up there talking about story and plots and things like that, now that I come to think of it. And I remembered a very old movie that was fun at the time. Not sure it would stand a look now but it had its moments ‘back then.’ Mainly because it was sort of vaguely about writers. A woman winning a contest with her writing, and getting away from her over-bearing husband to accept the prize, and along the way she accidently gets knocked out and wakes up thinking she’s her favorite detective in her favorite books. I’m not doing a very good job talking about it so if it sounds vaguely interesting just google it. It was called ‘American Dreamer’ and had JoBeth Williams? And Tom Conti in it. Don’t think it has very good reviews. And like I said it Has been a long time since I saw it.
Another movie that was cute at one time but not sure stands up a lot anymore is ‘Foul Play’ with Goldie Hawn and Chevy Chase? Oh and Dudley Moore…etc….

But a more recent movie that has a vague reference to writing – of sorts – is ‘The Holiday’ with Kate Winslet, Cameron Diaz, Jude Law, Jack Black. Cute movie. Some great memorable thought mulling lines in it also. And I must not be the only one liking it since it was on tv not only at Christmas/holiday time a couple / few times, it was on Valentine’s day or the day before. And technically it takes place during Christmas / New Years – thus the title ‘The Holiday.’ Altho’ maybe someone just saw the title and thought it would do for Any holiday. But it is a good movie no matter when you see it. So much so that I bought the DVD. And we so rarely bother to watch the movies we have we don’t often buy any more.

For a different type of movie, going for a lot more ‘non-serious’ fun, ‘Undercover Blues’ with Kathleen Turner and Dennis Quaid is a good one to watch. ‘Don’t miss the gators’...chomp, chomp. ;)

A movie a bit more wacky ;) was ‘Vibes’ with Cyndi Lauper and Jeff Goldblum. And Peter Falk. Fun. At least last time I saw it was. Course then again, that was rather long time ago.

As I said we don’t usually really watch – we read. Even when ‘watching’ I’m usually ‘reading’/sorting thro’ mail/papers/etc…. That still counts as ‘reading’ doesn’t it? Sort of? Altho’ my favorite thing to do is still to read a good book. even a so-so book, but I like good books better. ;) What can I say, I’m a writer. I’m always looking to see how I can write better, and how someone else handles their ‘job.’ And see if I can pick up tips on how to do mine better. So if you have any good books to suggest I’m always looking and putting lists together of books I should look at. And to add more 'insulation' to the house. ;)

And now to get this done before I get to that catatonic-tired state, since obviously you see I’ve drifted past coherent into rambling. But I’ll be checking back looking for good book recommendations.

2 comments:

Kris Spisak said...

It's great to have you back, Bemused Writer. We've missed you!

You know what book I turn back to time and time again? Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist has the mood of a children's story, but themes that haunt your spirit, especially the writer's spirit with dreams aplenty.

I'll bring it with me to James River Writers' Writing Show on Thursday, just in case you're there. I also owe you your book back!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Kris. Glad you stopped by. ;)

Oooh, I haven't read that. Would definitely like to borrow it! If you don't mind? ;)

Thanks for the recommendation!