Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Writing Humor


I still go to Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books when I need a break and just want to be entertained. But I can't read them back to back or all the time or anything. Even though they are crazily funny and have great, and funny, characters.

But I have just found a good mix of humor, mystery, and even fantasy wizard magic thrown in as well.
The Dresden Files mysteries, books by Jim Butcher.

One of the funniest male / female differences in sizing up others - from the book 'Changes' by Jim Butcher.
One of his Dresden Files mysteries... as one review puts them 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer starring Philip Marlowe'

I won't say much since I wouldn't want to ruin the surprises all through, even starting the book.
Or at least surprises to me certainly since I just discovered the Dresden Files books recently and have only had time to read one book, and, er, and 61 pages of this one. And I have read none in sequence or in order. Which is my test of a good series writer, can they keep the interest of someone new that drops in unexpectedly, as well as their regular clientele. So far Jim Butcher does a pretty great job.

As I said, I've only read one, and a piece of another so far, but Jim Butcher does a really good job with humor. There have been several really big smile moments in both books but this is just ....well... if no one else I know my friends that read this will think it's great!

pg. 61 brief summary so you aren't totally lost here altho' technically don't think you need it... but here it is anyway ... Susan, Harry's former girlfriend, has dropped in [a serious problem, I won't even mention so don't spoil the surprise] [p.s. Harry has a lot of problems. So makes good reading. ;) ] Susan has been away many years, doesn't realize Harry has a young female apprentice named Molly.

"
Susan smiled at me, giving Molly the Female Once-Over --- a process by which one woman creates a detailed profile of another woman based upon about a million subtle details of clothing, jewelry, makeup, and body type, and then decides how much of a social threat she might be. Men have a parallel process, but it's binary: Does he have beer? If yes, will he share with me?
"

Good one huh? :::grin::::

hmmmm, just came to me, given how Harry was in the latter Harry Potter books ... well without all the Horcrux stuff and all... or not, given I've not read many of the Dresden books....yet....Dresden is quite possibly what Potter might have become grown up.... and they are both Harry's. Dresden is snarkier and funnier though. ::grin::
What do you think?

No comments: