Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Things We Do

Seeing a comment by Maggie Stiefvater on one of my blog entries [over on another blog that she said a writer needed to have] made me feel a bit awful that I haven't done much writing lately.  On my blogs or my novels.  A lot of reasons.  A lot of excuses.  A lot of need-to's.  Sigh.  Would say a lot of life but have feeling when people say things like that it's a lot of hiding from life.  

After all, Maggie sure seems to have a whole lot going on and she manages to get writing done.  A Lot of it evidently!
Not to mention all the art and other things she manages to create and do.

Sigh.  Sigh.

But her comment did make me think of how little things can make such a difference sometimes.

Like the time I was going into a restaurant and happened to see a woman coming in that looked really good.  Very put together.  Or something.  Not even sure I remember now actually, but at the time I had the distinct feeling I should tell her how nice she looked.  At first I brushed it off, after all she Had to know how nice she looked.  Didn't she?  
Well, I finally figured it was such a little thing, what would it matter.  So I just told her how nice she looked and all.  She looked at me and about burst into tears.
She'd been having such a rough time lately but decided to take a few extra minutes that morning to get ready and to try to look nice.
She and I spoke for barely a couple minutes but I think both of us benefited from it.  We both walked away feeling better.
And I came away with another reinforcement of listening to the inner voice that prompts you to say or do something good for someone.  Skip the bad stuff, everyone hears and gets enough as it is, don't they?
But if it's in your power to do or say something good, do it.
No matter how tiny or insignificant it might seem to you.  You never know what it's going to mean to someone else.  At the time they really need it.

So it really is about all we say and do, or don't say and don't do, isn't it?

And maybe size really doesn't matter. ;-D

So this is my good thought that I send out for whomever comes across this and is reading it.    You have worth.  You have talent.  We all might not have the talents Maggie has now. ;-D    But we all have something to contribute somewhere, somehow.     And you might not ever know what you do for good is having impact on anyone.  But do it anyway.

No comments: