Thursday, September 17, 2009

Miss Me?


Have been hopping around with all kinds of doings. How about you all?

From quick travels out of town to a friend’s son’s wedding, to things JRW, meetings, and count-down to Conference.

You ARE going to be there right? The James River Writers Conference in October.

I get to do a panel with the graphic novelist Dash Shaw, the writer of humor filled mystery series Donna Andrews, and the super Uber-talented often mentioned here…ta ta ta daaaa…Maggie Stiefvater!!! Yay, Yay, YAY!

And since I’ve already warned you I am a Bemused Writer you might be getting an inkling of how my mind works.

My friends, or just those around me, are still a bit ‘bemused’ by how it works I think. :::grin:::

For some reason along with everything else I’ve been thinking about recently, I’ve been thinking about magic. Is this only a writer’s foible? Musing about different things like this.

As writers aren’t we all magicians of a sort? Or maybe better put, magician’s assistants, since we all are looking for the best words to blend together to create the best alchemy of a story, or to tell a story.

Or at least I am. I’m always casting about, looking for the best most expressive way to create the same, or close enough, scene in your head when you read, that’s in mine when I write, with the fewest, but best, words. Isn’t that magic? Or alchemy?

Not that I’m trying for the turning everyday objects into gold things that is the dictionary description of alchemy.

Although when you think about it, isn’t that what Every writer Really wants to do?

But as writer’s whether we admit to the first definition of turning things into gold there is the working of the second definition which is:

2 : a power or process of transforming something common into something special

Which we are definitely trying to do as writers. At least I am.

And which we hope to do the first definition with. Which is transform it into gold. Right? ;)

So here’s to writing magic. Or magical writing.


Hope to see some of yours soon. ;) As well as my own. :::grin:::

No comments: