Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A Name, A Name


Well, several names. Those pesky characters. I Know! Do they Never rest? I’ve been out of their world looking for names for them. They supposedly can’t go around for the rest of the book being Character 14, Char. 15, etc…. Okay, so I wasn’t that bad. But some did have just ‘friends’ label attached. Or question mark. That doesn’t exactly keep readers going straight in a story, does it?

So where do you get your character’s names?

Seems from the digging around I’ve done people have their own little ways to name their characters. Interesting ways and places to get names.

So what are yours?

And if you are just a reader, what suggestions would you have? Uhm, other than your own name. Or someone you know. Or hate. Even if you do really want to see them dismembered in print. Remember I haven’t actually said I was doing that to a character. Exactly anyway. But you’ll have to stay tuned and read my books to find out now won’t you? Heh, heh, heh.


2 comments:

Kris Spisak said...

Drive around town and pay attention to the names of streets. I've come up with some great names, stealing from locations important to me or locations I just happened to be passing by. I once had a new story completely jump out of an unusual street name.

Baby name books that discuss meaning are also fun and helpful, although I really excited my mother by having one such book sitting on my desk a few months ago! But it was all for the sake of a character restless with the name he was originally given...

Good luck with your naming!

sgchris said...

Great idea, Thanks!

I took some time to do some web searching and came up with Lots of interesting stuff!

Course got spit out two days later. ;-D

Hope your writing is going well!