Sunday, August 2, 2009

Are We Writers?

Are we still writers when we haven’t had time to really write?

Of course I’m not talking about writing out checks and bills and such, although that can be a creative endeavor all itself nowadays with the economy such as it is, can’t it?

I’m talking about the pull of everyday life on the creative time of a person either choosing, or being compelled, to write, and trying to do it for a living. And couple that with trying to also be a part of the writing community of James River Writers and helping with that --- which I will put a plug in here, if you are not a part of it, consider joining And volunteering to help JRW. There’s a Lot of good writers here willing to help, but it is Volunteers we are talking about, and we all have ‘real’ lives as well, filled with overgrown to-do lists and economic concerns. From those that are published that are so generous with giving their advice and help to the rest of us, to the ones like me still working toward that goal, we all are, writers. Well, as I was saying at the beginning of this, most of us are. I’ve been struggling with the things that have to be done lately so much the only really creative writing I’ve really done lately has been in my head. [I swear all my reports and bill paying have been accurate, not ‘creative’!]

Course writing in the head only works so far. Or in my case, in my head, it has. Afraid I’ve dozed off in mid-character rant sometimes. I get still to think, and thunk, head down eyes closed. Hey, it’s not like those characters have been all that cooperative with me! They’ve stalked and pranced and growled away from me often enough with me trying desperately to write down their story. – and I use the term growl here just as a descriptive term, my characters don’t really do that. But Maggie Stiefvater’s characters from her new book “Shiver” do! And you’ll have to stay turned to this week’s blog posts to read more on that. I Promise there will be more blog posts this week! There might be more writing on blogs than character story telling-writing, but hey, they’ll just have to live with it. I’ve lived with their finicky snarly behavior much longer than I thought I was going to. Hmmmm, wonder if Maggie has a cage big enough to constrain my characters too? Maybe I should go check. :::grin::::


No comments: